|Page (1) of 1 - 04/20/17||email article||print page|
MTS and Ericsson Secure New Record Data Speed for Russia During 5G Test
MOSCOW, April 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
PJSC MTS (NYSE: MBT, MOEX: MTSS), the leading telecommunications operator in Russia and the CIS, and Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC), the world leader in information and communication technologies, announce the successful trial of 5G technology, during which data transfer speed reached a record of up to 25 Gbps for the first time in Russia on a movable prototype of a smartphone. Previously, all 5G trials were conducted only between stationary devices.
Testing was conducted at Moscow's 'Opening Arena' stadium, where a base station operating in the range of 14.5-15.3 GHz transmitted a signal to a movable prototype of a subscriber's at the speed of 25 Gbps. This data transfer speed allows just for 18 days to transfer absolutely all traffic of all MTS subscribers that they exchanged during 2016 - including downloading and streaming of movies, video calls, Internet surfing, downloading and transferring media files. The total volume of traffic that MTS subscribers transferred in 2016 is 1,206 Pb.
As part of the trials, MTS and Ericsson experienced other possibilities and advantages of 5G technology for various scenarios: online video streaming in 4K format, as well as virtual reality services and remote robot control over a mobile network that require ultra-small delays and high data rates.
"The tests showed an absolute record for data speeds in Russia to a mobile device, and on specific examples we saw how close we are to the daily use of 5G solutions. MTS is currently building a data transfer network and testing various solutions to ensure we're ready for 5G standardization. We now hope in cooperation with our partners to develop an extended 5G demo zone for the major sporting event of 2018 in Russia, "said Igor Egorov, Director of Moscow region, MTS.
"The scalable and dynamic 5G network gives operators the ability to create many new services and generate additional revenue streams. The 5G network will ensure the automation of business processes and the transformation necessary for the dissemination of the Internet of Things, as well as the use of services such as VR and AR," added Hannes Ekstrom, Head of Customer Unit MTS, Market Area Europe & Latin America, Ericsson.
The following innovative technologies were used during the tests:
- Multi-User and Massive MIMO with an array of transmit-receive antennas and the ability to simultaneously service several subscribers in one sector of a cell on the same frequency band. This significantly increases the data transfer rate and the efficiency of the frequency resource;
- Beam Tracking, which provides user devices with a stable connection and the best throughput when moving;
- Dynamic TDD, which improves the data transfer rate and the efficiency of using wireless network resources by dynamically redistributing the bandwidth when transmitting traffic in the downlink and upstream channels.
The trials are part of the strategic partnership between MTS and Ericsson within the framework of the agreement signed in December 2015 on cooperation in the development and implementation of 5G technologies in Russia.
Cooperation between MTS and Ericsson on innovation and 5G:
- In July 2015, for the first time in Russia, MTS and Ericsson completed a test for an automatically scalable function of the multimedia messaging subsystem (IMS) in the cloud to provide voice services in the LTE network (VoLTE);
- In October 2015, companies tested Ericsson's LTE Broadcast technology on a commercial network for the first time in Russia. During the test session in Nizhny Novgorod, HD-quality video was streamed to an LTE-smartphone supporting LTE Broadcast;
- In June 2016, the companies tested LTE-U (LTE-Unlicensed), demonstrating the aggregation of two frequency bands - 10 MHz in the 1800 MHz band of LTE and 20 MHz in the unlicensed 5 GHz band at Wi-Fi access points. During the tests, the data transfer rate reached 200 Mbit / s;
- In June 2016, the companies signed an agreement on the supply of software for the modernization of MTS' network. As part of the agreement, which will run until 2019, the companies will implement IoT technology solutions and test extended GSM technology (EC-GSM-IoT).
For further information, please contact in Moscow:
Joshua B. Tulgan
Director, Department of Corporate Finance and Investor Relations
Mobile TeleSystems PJSC
Learn more about MTS. Visit the official blog of the Investor Relations Department at www.mtsgsm.com/blog/
Mobile TeleSystems PJSC ("MTS" - NYSE:MBT; MOEX:MTSS) is the leading telecommunications group in Russia and the CIS. We provide wireless Internet access and fixed voice, broadband and pay-TV to over 100 million customers who value high quality of service at a competitive price. Our wireless and fixed-line networks deliver best-in-class speeds and coverage throughout Russia, Ukraine, Armenia, Turkmenistan and Belarus. To keep pace with evolving customer demand, we continue to grow through innovative products, investments in our market-leading retail platform, mobile payment services, e-commerce and IT solutions. For more information, please visit: www.mtsgsm.com.
Some of the information in this press release may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of MTS, as defined in the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. You can identify forward looking statements by terms such as "expect," "believe," "anticipate," "estimate," "intend," "will," "could," "may" or "might," and the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. We wish to caution you that these statements are only predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially. We do not undertake or intend to update these statements to reflect events and circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. We refer you to the documents MTS files from time to time with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically the Company's most recent Form 20-F. These documents contain and identify important factors, including those contained in the section captioned "Risk Factors" that could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in our projections or forward-looking statements, including, among others, the severity and duration of current economic and financial conditions, including volatility in interest and exchange rates, commodity and equity prices and the value of financial assets; the impact of Russian, U.S. and other foreign government programs to restore liquidity and stimulate national and global economies, our ability to maintain our current credit rating and the impact on our funding costs and competitive position if we do not do so, strategic actions, including acquisitions and dispositions and our success in integrating acquired businesses, potential fluctuations in quarterly results, our competitive environment, dependence on new service development and tariff structures, rapid technological and market change, acquisition strategy, risks associated with telecommunications infrastructure, governmental regulation of the telecommunications industries and other risks associated with operating in Russia and the CIS, volatility of stock price, financial risk management and future growth subject to risks.
SOURCE Mobile TeleSystems (MTS)
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Related Keywords:Internet, Broadband, IoT, Digital Media Software, WiFi, Movies & Music, Web, Home Networks, Movies by Genre, Video, Blogs/videoblogs, Internet/Web, Business, Internet, Virtual Reality, Broadband, 4K, Internet Media, Virtual Reality, streaming, Video, Russia, USA, Internet Technology, Business,